Last Friday was a complete and utter whirlwind of loveliness.
It was my 40th birthday and it was Pay What You Choose Day for Board of Your Life. Which meant for the vast majority of the day, I was receiving Facebook messages, tweets, phone calls, emails and every other manner of missive. Every last piece of digital love went into my “YAY” folder and notes went into my actual “YUM + YAY” folder. (Blues-busters…both of them: highly recommend.) My folders and my heart are bursting at the seams.
I spent much of the weekend in a bit of a dazed afterglow and kept feeling the tug to create some meaningful “lessons” for you, my readers. (I want everyone to have such a day.)
And it’s kind of a challenge to tease out the learnings because I collapsed two events people seem to care about (my birthday + Pay What You Choose Day) into one day. I mean, the fine folks at Facebook made sure my FB world knew it was my birthday with their handy-dandy side bar. But as far as the Board of Your Life offer that I wanted to reach many many people, well, that was up to me.
There are two things I want you to know:
1) If you want to throw a party, you have to invite some people. You have to ASK THEM TO SHOW UP. If you live in any social media space, there is a decent chance you came across a mention of my birthday or offer from someone other than me. It’s important for me that you know that I ASKED friends for help in spreading the word so that:
a) you don’t have some belief that I am just lucky enough to have people falling all over themselves to help me (triggering any sort of: “why don’t people do that for me” story line.)
b) you know that I walk my talk. I make asks. I send heart-in-my-throat requests that make me feel like I am asking for too much. (But knowing that the ask was reasonable, specific, brief, and respectful, I felt pretty confident pressing “send”.)
2) People are generous. In particular, YOUR people. Yes, they are generous and kind and want what you have to offer. I have said this time and time again. And while this is a fundamental belief that I hold, I hold it LIGHTLY in my hands so that I don’t crush it, leaving space for the wonder when it reveals itself. In that way, and like the smell of crisp fall air, it never ceases to amaze and thrill me.
There is much, MUCH more for me to crystallize from the day (in particular, the Pay What You Choose experience), but I have a ton of thank you notes to write, so for now let me just say, once again, THANK YOU. For being here, for showing up, for YOUR generosity, for asking for what you want and for helping me to grow.
With full heart,
Sale is over
40 years ago today, Paul Henderson scored “the goal of the century”, CityTV opened its doors and I was born.
To most Canadians, the first event was pretty noteworthy. It was the final game of the Canada-Soviet Union Summit Series at the height of the Cold War. It was a scrappy fight for both hockey supremacy AND (ahem) democracy. So, you know, a ginormous international peeing match.
So, on September 28 1972, the patients and staff of a hospital in Toronto, like pretty much everyone across the nation, were fixed to the tube, watching the puck careen across the ice in fuzzy black and white.
My mother had taken the pain-relieving meds on offer in the 70’s (good ‘n heavy ones, so I’m told), and was oblivious to the scene beyond her labour experience.
Upon delivering me with success (YAY!), she was wheeled back to her room. It was in that moment that Paul Henderson made THE GOAL. The hospital exploded with cheers and hoots and celebration.
Photo Taken September 28, 1972 by Frank Lennon, Canadian Press
My mother, holding my swaddled self to her chest, looked up beatifically to my father and said, in her elegant but wonder-filled way: how marvelous, but really, she’s just a baby.
God, I love that story.
I love the vision of my stunning Mama, in her own world, bathed in love and in the belief that the world was cheering her (and me) on.
Maybe they were.
I also love my Board of Your Life program. The Board of Your Life Kit feels exactly like that: like there’s a whole hospital cheering for you.
Because you know what? Your people WANT to gather around and help you see how gorgeously you’re showing up in your life. To help you see and realize your ambitions and aspirations.
And so I want you to have the Board of Your Life Kit. At whatever price you choose. At whatever price feels good for your heart and your wallet.
Your people ARE cheering for you.
I’m cheering for you.
We’re cheering for you.
Here’s what to do:
Sale is over
1) Press that there BUY NOW button. That will lead you to the checkout where the price field is editable. The price will say $150…change it to whatever makes your heart and wallet smile. Click update cart. You’ll then finish payment via PayPal.
2) I am open to offers. If you want to pay some now and some later, grand. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and let her (and me) know your intentions.
3) If you aren’t set up for PayPal, or would rather pay by cheque/email transfer, that’s equally grand. Again, let Beth know and she’ll make sure that you are set up.
The finer print:
1) This offer is only for the Board of Your Life KIT and not for my coaching OR for my facilitation of your Board of Your Life experience.
2) The Board of Your Life kit retails for $150 CDN. A lot of energy went into creating it and an inordinate amount of thought went into pricing it…please calibrate your offer accordingly. Karma is always in effect.
3) Please, please, please be patient with Beth and I. If you reach out to us with an offer, we will get back to you as soon as we are able.
4) If you own the kit already and want to buy a copy for a friend at the pay-what-you-choose rate, do let us know so we can send it on your behalf (you sweet, gorgeous, generous thing, you).
5) The offer expires at midnight Sept 28th. Period. In fact, the kit is going on hiatus as of September 29th. Get it now, loves.
Want to know more about Board of Your Life? Click here.
With champers + cupcakes,
PS – I would be super grateful if you shared this post + my offers. Here are some options:
- What do @TanyaGeisler + Paul Henderson have in common? (TWEET THIS)
- It’s @TanyaGeisler’s birthday … and it’s PWYC Board of Your Life Day! (TWEET THIS)
- @TanyaGeisler’s Board of Your Life is like the whole world is cheering for you. ‘Cause it kinda is. (TWEET THIS)
- @TanyaGeisler is celebrating her birthday w/ hockey stories + PWYC Board of Your Life. (TWEET THIS)
PPS – Today is THE LAST DAY that I’m taking bookings for sample sessions. Get your request in today and we’ll get one booked in the coming weeks.
Or: 360 Degrees of You, Baby, You
In the last month of Thing Finding Thursdays, Chris Guillebeau, Dyana Valentine, Jenny Blake, and Kelly Diels each talked about asking yourself The Big Questions:
What do you really want to do?
What would you do if you weren’t getting paid?
What are you really, really good at…and can you REALLY make a living at it?
To find – or admit – their things, they started by getting real, getting honest, and looking inside. They made the interior journey – and of course no one can do that for you except you.
But that’s only part of the process. When you’re looking for clues and puzzle pieces to piece together your Thing, you need to look around, not just inside. Look to your people: your friends, family, co-workers, employers. People who’ve known you a long time, seen you in good and bad times, watched you at work and at play, witnessed you enchanted and thoroughly disenchanted.
It’s kind of like the back of your ensemble. You might not see it unless you seek it out. But everyone around you sees you from all angles.
So ask them what they see.
But this is not about asking if your ass looks fat in those pants. This is about people who care for you, are invested in you, see you…
…helping you see your way forward. Maybe even helping you find Your Thing – and then brainstorming tangible, achievable steps to making Your Thing happen.
From an Idea Party…
In this month’s O Magazine, Barbara Sher talks about the ‘idea party’. You get together with your friends and each of you outline an intention, goal or dream, and then brainstorm ways to make it happen. You ask for help. For connections. For creativity. And someone knows someone with a vacation villa in Italy and a guru in India and an incandescent Javier Bardem look-alike in Bali and suddenly you’re living – and writing – the next Eat Pray Love. Or maybe that’s just in a Julia Roberts movie.
Or maybe it’s your life.
The brilliantly simple point of an idea party is in the brainstorm, in the expanding of your possibilities from a party of one (you) to a team teeming with suggestions and directions.
Now that’s a party. Let’s have that party.
…To Assembling a Board of Your Life
But let’s make that idea party even more purposive, more intentional, more accountable and more results-oriented. Let’s not just assemble a team, let’s assemble a Board.
For your Life.
That’s what I’ve been doing for years: facilitating my baby, my brainchild, my Thing. And My Thing is called Board of Your Life. (It led me to coaching and I am eternally grateful. That’s the point…Board of Your Life leads to magic).
Board of Your Life is a Summit. It’s 360 degrees of invitation and clarity. It’s an expedition and an adventure…and a wildly practical and possible process. And I’ve decided that I can no longer be the only one facilitating this gorgeousness. So I’ve created The Board of Your Life Kit, which includes:
- a matrix to help you select and invite your advisors;
- a list of tested, provocative, intensely productive questions;
- a guide for your faciliator to effectively focus and lead the event; and
- lists of all the materials needed to make the magic happen.
[It even includes templates for making the ask of your advisors. Confidence bolstering note: many Board of Your Life-ees are initially hesitant to ask potential advisors to participate...and then find, incredibly (and predictably!) that instead of being weirded out by the request, advisors feel profoundly honoured. When we do (or try to do) everything ourselves, we deny the people we care about the basic human dignity of supporting us. And so inviting your people into your decision making process is 360 degrees of generosity: you're sharing your purpose and your future with them; and they're sharing their knowledge of you with you.]
And so with Board of Your Life you’ll see all your possibilities from all angles. You’ll augment the knowledge you’ve excavated from your soul (by asking yourself those Big Questions) with information, plans and possibilities from the people who know you best, see you clearly, and can help you see your way into your thing.
Are you in? Intrigued? The Board of Your Life Kit debuts in ABOUT 14 days. If you’d like to know more about this kit and how to use it, let me know in the comments or sign-up below. I’ll tell you all about my thing…so you can get started finding your thing.